Monday 9 July 2012

1/2 Marathon training: Week One

I started the first week of my 1/2 marathon training with a 5k race in Exeter - The Ironbridge Runner 5k series. This is, as the name suggests, mean to be a series where entrants run at least 3 of the 4 races held. However, I only wanted to do the one race to see where I was after my first month of running. Also, I think the £9 entrance fee per race is a bit steep!

This was my first competitive run and I was really struck by how serious people were taking it. I had looked at the results from previous races and knew that the course record was just shy of 15 minutes, but I didn't expect everyone to look so focused! Going into the race my PB over 5k was 26.32 so I was aiming for sub 25 minutes. This was based on the fact that (a) the race was on the flat rather than the hills my PB was set on and (b) it was a race and I was going to push myself. I was absolutely delighted to run 23.38!!!

Looking at the training plan I was pretty confident that I was slightly ahead of where it started - I can now comfortably run 7.5k (4.6 miles) so I've added extra miles where time allows. I've also had to change a couple of the days that I ran this week but I figured that as long as I still did the four runs that it would be ok. So, week one looked like this:

Mon: Rest
Tues: Exe 5k http://www.ironbridgerunnerevents.co.uk/summer_5k/images/summer5k_jul12_results.pdf
Weds: 9.7 http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/147475535 Great run, pushed along by my mate Dan
Thurs: Rest
Fri: Rest
Sat: 5k
Sun: 7.5k http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/activity/running/phoenixdoyley/detail/2010229584

Sundays run was the first time I got to test out the presents some of my best friends got me for my birthday - my Nike+ sportband and Nike+ Pegasus28 trainers. The shoes are great; I took some instore advice regarding the best shoes for me and they feel like I am running on clouds! I really noticed the difference on my knees too. Maybe it's all in my head but the new kit made me feel really good about the way I ran and definitely had an extra spring in my step!

So totals for the week:
Distance: 27.2 km
Calories Burned: 2, 508
Weight: 196 lbs

BRING ON NEXT WEEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment